The Time and Weather is for Hua Hin, Thailand where we currently live

Daily Bible Verse

Monday, August 17, 2009

Watch Your Light

I was blessed to be able to spend an evening at Montreat, NC with our church youth group and leaders. After singing and hearing a message, we were each given a candle as we went outside. All 1,100 plus people (mostly youth), crossed the street and surrounded Lake Susan. The candles were lit by passing the flame from one to another until all of the candles were lit.

My heart was touched to see so many youth holding their candles singing worship songs into the night. The light from the candles reflected in the lake, creating even more light.

As we stood singing, a soft breeze blew periodically blowing some of the candles out. When that happened people would share their flames and relight their candles. Every time the wind would pickup, I would cup my hand around my flame so that it would not blow out…and it never did.

The Lord spoke to my heart, saying “See how easy it is for your light to go out?” He impressed upon me that we need to protect our light, so that it does not go out.

“You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.” Matthew 5:14-16

I started to consider what things could cause my light go out. Well, the first thing I thought of was sin. If we fall into sin and turn from the Lord, our light dims or goes out. If we get self involved, always looking at things as to how they affect us; instead of caring for others...our light can dim. We can seriously endanger our Christian witness if we let our light flicker or dim. Hmmm, I better watch my light and beware of the things that threaten to snuff it out.

What can I do to protect my light? I can read God’s Word daily. I can ask the Holy Spirit to convict my heart of sin in my life, and then repent. I can keep our eyes on Jesus.

So, I am praying that I keep my light burning brightly for all to see!

By: April

No comments:

Post a Comment