The Time and Weather is for Hua Hin, Thailand where we currently live

Daily Bible Verse

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Let's Apply. . .

We were teaching Youth Group and the lesson was called Sin or Mistake.  We put together a Power Point with slides with different questions and accompanying fun pictures and the kids had to say whether they thought it was a Sin or a Mistake.

It was cool when we got to one slide and they said “Well it could be a Sin or it could be a Mistake, depending on the persons’ intention.”  Wow!  So good!  So perceptive!

We went through the Power Point and then we asked them how they could stop sinning.  We broke them into two groups and gave them white boards and color markers, and told them to come up with things they could do to stop sinning. 

When we had each group present what they had come up with, it was great to see things on their lists like:  Pray, Read your Bible, and Follow what the Bible says to do.  I got really excited that both groups had put that you should not only read the Bible, but that you should follow the Bible.

After each group presented and we had a time of discussion, I went over to my laptop and said “Oh yes, I want to change the Desktop picture on my laptop.”  We had the laptop projecting on the wall from when we showed the Power Point, so they could all see what I was doing.  I said “See the blue sky with the white fluffy clouds, the ocean, and the small island with the palm trees; well I want to change that.  I am going to change it to this, a picture of autumn trees with leaves falling to the ground.”  I asked if everyone could see the new background that I was choosing.  They all said they could.  I then said “Okay let’s see how it looks”, and I clicked out of the Display Properties Screen and went to the main screen.

As we all looked at the wall displaying the computer screen I said “What?  It did not change to the autumn leaves.  You saw me go in and click on the autumn leaves, right?”

. . .There was a slight pause. . .and then they said “Miss April, you forgot to hit Apply!”  (You have to remember we are living in a culture here in Thailand, where you do not want to cause someone to lose face, so it was a bold move for them to tell me what I had done wrong.)  I said Really?  Are you sure?”  They assured me that they were sure.

I began to smile and they knew where I was going with this. . .”You mean I have to hit Apply, I can not just choose things and then exit out?”  “No” they said, “You have to hit Apply or it will not stick.”  Touché!

I told them that it was the same way with us, if we read the Bible and then put it down and do not apply what we have read, we will remain unchanged.  In James 1:23-25 it says, "For if you listen to the word and don't obey, it is like glancing at your face in a mirror. You see yourself, walk away, and forget what you look like. But if you look carefully into the perfect law that sets you free, and if you do what it says and don't forget what you heard, then God will bless you for doing it."

I then asked them if they understood, and I was assured that they ‘Got it’. 

Praise God!

I am praying that we all ‘Apply’ God’s truths to our lives, not being content to live stagnant lives but striving to live passionate lives for Jesus.

Blessings,

April

No comments:

Post a Comment