The Time and Weather is for Hua Hin, Thailand where we currently live

Daily Bible Verse

Monday, January 18, 2010

A Clean, Fresh Slate . . .

The other night Bill and I went out to dinner, to celebrate my Birthday. My parents had said they would treat us to dinner, and that we should find a nice restaurant. We went to a wonderful restaurant right on the beach in Hua Hin. The restaurant was carved into the side of a steep hill, with two terraced levels with tables and chairs. Each table was set with woven place mats, a napkin and utensils, as well as fresh flowers and a candle.

As we sat overlooking the beach and the ocean, we watched the sky change to include hues of pink and deep blue . . . and then it was dark. We are still surprised by how quickly the sun sets here in Thailand each evening.

After we ordered, we sat quietly enjoying the sound of the waves from the Gulf of Thailand rolling in and out. Each wave lulled us into feeling of relaxation and peace. In the background playing quietly we could hear soft English speaking songs, which was a nice surprise.

As I looked at the sand in the fading light, I noticed that there was hardly any undisturbed sand. Everywhere I looked I saw footprints going in all different directions, the remnants of sandcastle works of art, and random holes dug for who knows what purpose.

The Lord started to speak to my heart . . . if I were to come to the beach tomorrow morning what would I see? Would I see the disheveled beach of the day before, or would the beach look like a clean, fresh slate, free of footprints and sandcastles, and holes to fall in? This Bible verse came to my mind, “The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning.” Lamentations 3:22-23

Each morning. Wow, not every once in a while. Not once a year, but each morning God's mercies begin afresh. How awesome is that?! (And I reserve the word awesome for God.) Just as the beach would be clear of the disarray each morning, so too are our lives a clean, fresh slate each morning.

Thank you Lord for Your great mercies! Thank you for the clean, fresh slate that you gift us with each morning. All praise and honor and glory be to You, oh Lord!

Seeking to serve HIM in all that I do!

By April

4 comments:

  1. Hi April-

    Happy Belated Birthday! I just wanted to let you know that I read your blog as often as I can and I love your stories. You were meant for this life! Whenever I need my faith renewed, I know where to go- your work is making a difference, but so are your stories. Please keep writing.

    I miss you!
    Shea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to post on here b4 several months ago, but it never showed up for some reason. Anyway, I also want to wish you belated birthday wishes. I was so excited to find you and see what you and Bill have been up to.. missionary work! when others our age are slowing down, you guys go into high gear.. it's great! I love your writing, April!! Truly wisdom 'cries out in the streets' .. or in this case, the seashore. We're blessed that your eyes see and your ears hear and you share it with us. Thank you for the great reminder of God's tender mercies. - Lori Blubaugh Lewis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I want to introduce myself as a new follower of your blog. Thank you for sharing your stories and insights. My friend, Lori Lewis, recommended your blog. My husband and I lived in China for five years and are now prayerfully considering moving to Nonthaburi, north of Bangkok, in a year. So, thanks!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Lori and Dawn!
    Unfortunately I did not think that people could leave comments on blog as people told me they were unable to, so I did not see your comments until a little while ago. Sorry!
    Lori thank you for introducing me to Jesus, and thank you for the encouragement!
    Dawn, if you do move to Thailand please look us up, and if you come to Hua Hin we would love to have you stay with us.
    I did not know how to contact you both, so I am hoping that you come back to our blog and see this response.
    Our email address is: HISGloryRunners@gmail.com.
    Blessings to you both.
    April

    ReplyDelete